Friday, August 14, 2009

23 Thing Number 23

Overall, I am glad that I completed this project. It gave me the oppurtunity (ok, it forced me) to learn about these new applications. Though I am not convinced that all of them are feasible or practical in a library setting, they do play a role in helping us understand our users. And some of them are absolutely useful for what we do. I think collaborative tools like Google Docs and Wikis are the future of academia and thus essential to academic librarians. Podcasts and RSS feeds have obvious benefits for libraries. I think YouTube is now part of our culture and should be utilized as a tool. I think tagging is here to stay as well despite how uncomfortable it makes some librarians. Some of these applications will probably go the way of the dodo (like Twitter I hope) but many will continue to alter the way people interact with and respond to information. In other words, the information world that is our profession has quintessentially changed. We have to keep up.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I am doing yoga at the 24 hour fitness in Lake Worth since I moved to Eagle Mountain. The instructors suck. Please go be an instructor there.

    Thanks
    Rhett

    ReplyDelete