Wednesday, August 12, 2009

23 Things Number 10

I had never heard of Ning before this module. I think the idea of a social networking site that allows you to create niche social networks is a great idea. I found that the execution of that idea is sometimes lacking, however. Since I am a yoga teacher, I decided to type in "yoga" as my search term to explore Ning. Some of the social networks had really interesting ideas behind them like "Off the Mat, Into the World", others seemed like little more than marketing tools for yoga teachers and aspiring Rodney Yees (no offense Rodney). The commercialization of yoga is an issue close to my heart and some of these networks were really distasteful to me. However, my best friend is German and there were a suprising number of German, yoga-related social networks so I did tell her about it. They seemed to have generally fewer beautiful people twisted like pretzels. Hmm. What's that about?

No comments:

Post a Comment