Friday, August 14, 2009

Library Thing Number 22

Since we work mostly with college age students at my library, I think it is incredibly important for us to keep up with these new web applications. Only one other person at my library did this project and most of our librarians have worked here for many years (in other words, they are middle aged or so). Thus, I think many of our librarians would benefit from learning about these new applications. Our Reference librarian has the most one on one contact with students and she is pretty up on Web 2.0, so that's good. I would like our other librarians to at least play around with some of the major applications. Specifically, I think Facebook, Flickr, Delicious, and YouTube are important for understanding students' needs. I think most of them would enjoy Library Thing and LibWorm. I think that Google Docs, Wikis, and podcasts are going to become increasingly relevant to academia. Some of the other applications like Ning and Twitter are not quite so important in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment